Post 140: 25 April 2017, Cleveland Circles 28
Due to various commitments we decided, at the last minute, in the morning to go to Scarbados (Scarborough) and walk what we thought would be an easy 9 miles around Scarborough (known also as Scarbados). So we left York at 11.00am instead of our usual 7.30am. We arrived at the car park near where the Holbeck Hall Hotel used to be until it fell into the sea. This should have been a hint of things to come as it was fairly breezy, it had just started raining and the sea was a bit rough. One of our destinations, Scarborough Castle, could just be seen in the distance.
We donned waterproofs, including winter gear and over-trousers, and we were soon to find we were probably the only people adequately dressed for the conditions to come. Umbrellas were a no no in the wind.
It wasn’t so bad walking inland through town and past Queen Victoria
and past a memorial seat to soldiers.
A steep climb then followed towards the church going past Butter Cross, a sole surviving medieval street stone.
Near the church we found the gravestone of Anne Bronte who died at the very young age of 29 (not 28 as previously shown on the old gravestone).
We passed Scarborough Castle to be hit be really strong winds, nearly getting blown over.
However, it was worth gaining height for the views towards North Bay.
Some relief from wind was gained when we descended to Peasholme Park. This opened in 1912 and attractions include an atificial boating lake, mock naval battles and a putting green.
A little further on towards the Sea-life Centre we passed the miniature railway line.
The headland is protected from the sea by gneiss rock from Norway. However, there was little to protect us from the heavy wintry showers, at times stinging hail, and high winds. We would soon pass below Scarborough Castle shown on the headland. William de Gross started to build the castle in 1140.
If you don’t keep moving you can end up like this poor chap.
After heading around the headland we came to South Bay with its rather gawdy amusement arcades. We passed in front of the Spa which originated in 1626 when Mrs Tomyzin Farrer claimed that the local spring water had health giving properties. ‘Spaw House’ was built in 1698 by Dickie Dickinson. It 1826 the ‘Spaw’ became the Spa. It has been improved and made more secure against the sea over the years.
Moving on quickly we suddenly realised our route back to the car park was blocked by the sea.
Sid the Yorkshireman said ‘we could run through between the waves’. I think he was joking!
We retraced some steps and ascended further up the cliffs before rejoining the main Cleveland Way to lead us back to the car.
Miles Completed 9